Welcome to the Weston By Welland website.
The Parish of Weston by Welland is located at the upper reaches of the Welland Valley – 4 miles north east of the town of Market Harborough, with the villages of Ashley and Medbourne 1 and 2.5 miles to the east, respectively.
The parish totals approximately 421 hectares (1040 acres).
Originally it was most probably part of a Roman settlement as within a mile to the east of the parish archaeologists have uncovered a Roman settlement, and below it evidence of human dwellings several hundred years earlier.
The Parish is mentioned in the Domesday Book and there is a list of priests going back to the Twelfth Century, when the living was controlled by Launde Abbey.
Various people who have claimed to have owned land around Weston were:- The Countess Judith (niece of William the Conqueror) in 1086, Robert de Buci, also in 1086, Robert Basset (Chief Justiciar of England) and the powerful Bosworth family.
The Church of St. Mary the Virgin was built in Early English style.
In the spring of 1864 work started on completely restoring the church as the tower had become dangerous and was in a generally dilapidated condition.
The village reached its population peak of over 230 inhabitants at the beginning of the Nineteenth Century. The population then steadily decreased until the advent of numerous small housing developments commencing in the 1960’s, since when it has very slowly increased to its current level of circa 130.
Agriculture still plays an important part in the village, but today the village is populated mainly by commuters working in nearby towns and cities.